Enjoying a meal with loved ones at the end of the day is a timeless tradition, but many families feel as though they’re constantly searching for ways to mix up the menu.
One trend gaining traction among home chefs is “meatless Mondays,” in which classic dishes are made using substitutions for meat like veggies or grains. It’s a simple way to maintain nutritional value while putting a tasty twist on meals.
This Meatless Cheesy Burrito Bake can provide your family a flavorful way to skip the meat and make way for protein. Find more creative family dinner inspiration at culinary.net.
Meatless Cheesy Burrito Bake
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.) divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can diced green chiles (4 oz.) undrained
- 1 can refried beans (16 oz.)
- 6 wheat tortillas (8 in.)
- salsa (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 F. In large skillet, heat canola oil. Cook peppers, onion and cumin until tender.
- In saucepan, add water and brown rice. Cook 45 minutes.
- In saucepan, add 1 1/4 cups evaporated milk, shredded cheese and green chilies. Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Stir 3/4 cheese mixture in with rice; set remaining cheese sauce aside.
- In medium bowl, add refried beans and remaining evaporated milk. Microwave 3-4 minutes.
- Lay out tortillas and layer: refried bean mixture, rice mixture and pepper-onion mixture. Roll into burritos and place in baking pan. Top burritos with remaining cheese sauce. Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with salsa and guacamole, if desired.